Patient Navigator - Bakersfield
|Benefits:||medical, dental, vision, PTO, retirement|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The Patient Navigator will provide care coordination and case management services to women and men who have abnormal breast findings, women who have abnormal cervical findings, and adults and children who have been diagnosed with asthma and/or diabetes. Case management will center around the delivery of services that will support the continuum of medical treatment, linkages to specialty care, referrals to community resources, assessing barriers to treatment compliance, locating needed resources and providing linkages to health education to improve patient health outcomes. The Patient Navigators will also work with community partners and groups to promote early screening for breast and cervical cancer, asthma and diabetes, particularly to MSFW and Hispanic communities|
1. Assists targeted patients with accessing appropriate medical care, including assisting with making appointments, arranging for transportation, and follow-up with patients to insure appointments were kept.
2. Under the supervision of Clinical Champions or authorized provider insures a “Care Plan” for chronic disease management is created for each navigated patient.
3. Identifies barriers to care and locates available resources to assist with overcoming these barriers, especially for patients with abnormal breast and/or cervical findings, diagnoses of asthma and/or diabetes.
4. Makes referral to other needed services including but not limited to; legal assistance, behavioral health, domestic violence, anger management, and basic needs.
5. Provides linkage to community resources for other needed services (e.g., WIC, exercise and weight-loss classes, transportation, child care)
6. Assesses and refers patients needing health care coverage to CSV Certified Application Assistors for Medi-Cal (Medicaid), Healthy Families (SCHIP), and other public health insurance plans as they become available.
7. Identifies alternative payment sources for patients who do not qualify for above coverage and assists with application process though completion.
8. Documents all patient services on the appropriate forms and data collection systems.
9. Works with Program Manager, Supervisor, and Clinical Champions to ensure the appropriate level of service is provided and that support is obtained for challenging situations.
10. Educates individuals and the targeted communities as it related to breast and cervical cancer, asthma, and diabetes, on the importance of early screening, healthy lifestyle choices, risk factors, and available services and resources in community forums and other local opportunities involving high risk groups such as MSFA and Hispanic communities in rural and/or low social-economic localities.
11. Makes home visits for chronic disease management assistance when deemed necessary by the Program Manager or Supervisor.
|Qualifications:||We are looking for the following skills and qualifications:|
1. A combination of education and/or work experience that has developed strong interpersonal skills and problem solving skills is the foundation of this position.
2. Two (2) years of case management or other relevant experience involving minority populations preferred.
3. Knowledge and experience in working with local community resources for both medical and non-medical services.
4. Fluent in Spanish and English required or bilingual in another language that is prominent in a specific service area (Hmong, Mixteco, etc.)
5. Good written and verbal communication skills preferred.
6. Lives in targeted community and understands local cultural, ethnic and socio-economic conditions and barriers that impact access to health care and other services.
7. Ability to connect with people from diverse cultural, ethnical, and social-economic backgrounds
8. Ability to work independently with little supervision and as a team player.
9. Reliable transportation, valid California driver’s license and current automobile insurance are required.
10. Flexible Schedule – will be required to work some nights and weekends.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.